Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dark Fantasy Art

Perhaps it was my early childhood fascination with lego and all things creative that spurred my love of the fantasy genre. I almost hate to say the word now, its utterance conjuring all manner of archetypal individuals and locations. In reality, fantasy is much more integral to our lives than we give it credit for. Simply gazing up at the night sky impresses upon the mind a whole host of images and realities that exist only in our imagination and, with a little help from science and it’s irrevocable rationale, we can bend and mould these ideas into a working form that may echo some truth. It this what fantasy means? is it finding some truth in an idea so far flung that we need to justify it with something concrete. I hope not, but then I think fantasy is a working genre, enabling people to do anything with it.

In any case the art I enjoy is almost always inspired by some fantastic element. Luis Royo is one of my favourite artists, blending a healthy amount of dark fantasy with women.


Kris Verwimp is another favourite. He paints album covers for black metal musicians and, like Royo, favours a darker atmosphere for his paintings





No comments:

Post a Comment